Thursday, November 22, 2012

Giving thanks

"I believe in Christ like I believe in the sun. Not because I can see it, but by it I can see everything else."
C. S. Lewis

  I've been thinking about this quote a lot this week, as I prepared for Thanksgiving and went about my daily routine.  As you know, I've been participating in the Joy Dare.  I've been quite literally counting my blessings.  
  In doing so, in seeking the lovely in the daily routine and the blessings in the chaos, I've drawn closer to God.  I am learning that when I look through at the world in a way that I am seeing the blessings, in a way I think God looks at it, then my faith is strengthened.  
1st Thessalonians tells us:
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

Paul knew that the secret to living a life that MATTERS, a life that GLORIFIES, a life that POINTS TO JESUS is in the thanksgiving.  

What if...we kept counting our blessings, long after Thanksgiving and after we reached 1000?  What if...we got caught up in what we have instead of what we don't?
What if...we learned to thank God through the hard times, even when the only thing we can think to say thank you for is Jesus?
What if...we knew that Jesus was enough?  That even if every worldly pleasure was gone, that He would be enough?

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.  May you have many gifts to count.  



  

No comments:

Post a Comment