Thursday, October 18, 2012

If onlys...

This morning I was running late to get my daughter to school.  We're talking really late.  Spent too long trying to make the teacher's treats for Teacher Appreciation look better.  E needed money at the last minute for book sale.  T couldn't find his shoes.  C pooped.  Again.
On the way out the door my phone dinged for my appointment reminder for C's doctor's appointment.  "I know, got it!" I thought and then looked at the screen in disbelief.
9:00??  I thought it was 9:15!  The last appointment was for 9:15.  WHY would I have scheduled it for 9???  I can't possibly make that!  
Drove my daughter to school, called doctor's office on the way, pulled in to school only to miss the "not late" status by one minute so she needed to be signed in.  The doctor's office told me if I could get there by 9:10 I could still be seen.  A PTO friend saw me and yelled out, "I'll sign her in!"  Bless her heart.  Emma ran in, and we drove off.  I was due to arrive at 9:10, maybe 9:11...but when I turned on the road I needed, it was closed.  Then my detour was closed, so I had to take the real detour.  C had thrown his socks in the backseat, so when we finally pulled up at 9:16, I ran in with a sockless baby and a two year old who couldn't wait to see the fish.  As I walked in the door, my phone rang.  I saw the nurse on the phone.  She was gracious and sweet, but they couldn't fit us in.  Drove back to the school to drop off my treats quickly...
I walked out the door feeling totally and utterly defeated.
If I was only more organized...
If my house was neater...
If I could bring myself to wake up a little earlier even when C was up in the night, not feeling the best.
If I could just bring myself to be a better house keeper, play with my kids more, have energy left to hang out with my husband, work out and be in great shape, cook awesome meals every night, coupon for all our grocery shopping, do great pinterest projects (seriously, the people on Pinterest...where do they find time to do these things??)...
The list of if onlys overwhelms me as I drive down the road, the boys having a who can growl loudest contest at the top of their lungs.
Then I was reminded of these words by Nancy Leigh DeMoss...
"There is virtually never time in a twenty four hour day for me to do everything that is on everyone else's to do list for me.  There is seldom time to do everything on my own to do list.  I cannot meet with every person who wants to meet, call every person who wants to talk, tackle every project that people think I would be good at, keep each room in my house presentable for guests who drop in...It's just not physically possible.  What a relief that I don't have to do all those things!  The Truth is that all I have to do is the work God assigns to me...there is time to do everything that is on God's to do list for my day, for my week, and for my life."  
Don't let your if onlys take over.  You are enough, He is enough, and all you have to do is the work that God has given you for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment