Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The downward cycle of sin

"For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.  Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools..."
This passage from Romans 1 goes on to describe this downward cycle into sin and eventually, Godlessness. It's a scary passage to read, because like lots of sin, it's starts with something small.
And where does it start?
"...they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him..."
I believe Paul was speaking specifically toward turning to the sin of idolatry in this passage at first, but he goes on to talk about sins of various kinds being a result of this downward cycle.  
It makes me wonder...does lots of sin, sin in my life, start like this?  
When we forget to glorify God, when we are too busy to give thanks, sin starts creeping in.  
In our Sunday School class on marriage, we talked about temptation this week.  We read Psalm 119:  9-11.  "How can a young man keep his way pure?  By living according to your word.  I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.  I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." 
If we were to look at the sin in our lives...wouldn't it start by not seeking God like we should?  Or not being "up in the Word" (as a girl in my small group put it)?  Or not having a thankful heart?  
I think so much of sin in my life creeps in when I'm not thankful, when I am not glorifying God for what He has done for me.  When what He's done isn't always on my mind because I'm too busy to be in His word. When He and I haven't been speaking much because life is in the way.
What would my life look like if I could live in a state of thankfulness, of ongoing communication with God, and of spending time daily in His Word?  
I am a work in progress, but the older I get, the more I am constantly aware that this is where it's at.  This is what it's all about.  Whatever stage of life you are in, this is what life is all about.

1000 Gifts
111.  A visit with good friends

112.  Relaxing this weekend...lots of good food and football.
113.  Laying in bed with the windows open
114.  My two year old singing Jesus loves me.
115.  Meeting Em's good friend from school
116.  That God's mercies are new every morning
117.  My 6 year old begging each morning for the "Good Morning Song" followed by T asking for more "Oh my Soul pease pease".
118.  For forgiveness and second chances.  And third.  And fourth.
119.  Pumpkins everywhere!
120.  Crisp, autumn air
121.  A clean house...well, it was clean for awhile
122.  Seeing T snuggled up to E in our bed last night.  T has been sickly the past few days and waking up in the night.  He doesn't usually snuggle, but he sure was with his Daddy.



No comments:

Post a Comment