Saturday, January 29, 2011

Tyranny of the Urgent

I read this article yesterday that really made me think...I actually was referred to it by another blog I read.  Feel free to read it too!  You have to come up with a sign in, but all they ask for is email and password and first name I believe.  It's the Navigators organization website.  Here's the link:  http://www.navpress.com/magazines/archives/article.aspx?id=13167
Whether you read it or not, here are some thoughts I had after reading it...
How much do I let the urgent crowd out the important?  "We live in constant tension between the urgent and the important. The problem is that the important task seldom must be done today or even this week. Extra hours of prayer and Bible study, a visit with that nonChristian friend, careful study of an important book: these projects can wait. But the urgent tasks call for instant action—endless demands pressure every hour and day."
I see this happening a lot with me, and my schedule is not nearly as packed as it once was!  The article talks about different ways to fix this problem, focusing on Jesus' example.  Jesus died at a young age, yet was still able to say "I have finished the work which Thou gavest me to do."  Why was this?  Because Jesus didn't let the urgent crowd out the important.  He went to God to ask what His work was.  How often do I "forget" or "don't have time to" start my day by asking God to direct my path for the day?  That He would show me what His work was for the day? 
Another thing that I have GOT to decide is that daily time in my Bible must move from important to urgent.  I have been better about this, but there are days when I decide I'm too busy for Bible Study.  If I'm too busy for Bible Study, then I am too busy. And there are days when I have probably overcommited myself.  But most of the time, the real problem isn't that I'm too busy.  It's that my priorities are mixed up.
Daily time in the Word has got to become my priority and I'm determined to make it that way !  Not three days a week, not enough to prepare for Sunday School or Bible Study, but daily Bible Study for the purpose of personal growth. 
How do you keep yourself accountable? 

No comments:

Post a Comment