Thursday, January 27, 2011

Go Baby Go!

My little guy took his first unassisted step today!  His seemed oblivious to my cheering and squealing...content to just sit back down as if to say, "What's all the fuss about?  Crawling is WAY better."  I had forgotten all the new worries that come with walking...you know when you walk, inevitably you fall down. 
My little girl is determined to take her training wheels off this Spring when she rides her bike.  I know she will learn and be just fine, but I also know it will probably take some falls to get there.  I took some spills on my bike as a kid and I remember the pain of a busted toe or a skinned knee.  But it's ten times worse to watch your kids go through that pain.
And I know it's just beginning...we'll have many falls.  The falls of friendships, the falls of not making the team...the list goes on and on. 
It's hard to turn your kids loose sometimes and let them have these falls!  Even though that's life, I don't know how my parents did it and I don't know how I will do it.  (And trust me, we are blessed with both sets of parents that still are there for us to lean on and have caught us MANY times when we fall...even as adults.)  I think the only way to do it, is to turn them over to the Lord.
Don't get me wrong...I plan to hold tightly while I can and while it's appropriate.  But when it's time to take these steps to more independence, I'm so thankful I have a Heavenly Father who holds my kiddos in the palm of His hand.  As much as I love them, as much as they are my whole world, I am grateful that He loves them more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment