Friday, September 21, 2012

Devoted

Her words are like a red light on the highway.  They stop me in my tracks, make me put on the brakes; although she has no idea that is the case.
My children have been praying in the morning on the way to school now for a while.  (Remember my Prayer Promise last year?  Still going this year!)  This morning, my 2 year old wanted to turn on his movie in the car, and I said, "Nope, remember we pray before school?"  This started a conversation on when we can pray to which my 6 year old chimed in, "Yep, remember we can pray anytime!  Before we eat, before bed, before we do anything really.  When we want to tell God thank you like if we are on a walk.  And when we are scared like if we are at school and we feel scared, we can just pray in our heads.  I pray at school when I'm worried.  And Mommy prays when she's worried too!"  
Oh Lord, is that what You were trying to tell me?  
Just this morning when my heart was breaking for someone I don't even know all that well.  Someone who's world is completely rocked right now and I was searching for something I could do for them...make them a meal, a gift...what could I do?  I kept running into road blocks with all my ideas and let's face it...when you have three kids and time is crazy, sometimes you feel like WHAT can I do that wouldn't be more harm than good?
What was it I read in my morning time with God?  "Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful."  (Colossians 4:2)  Devote.  Am I devoted to prayer?  
Beth Moore said something about this in my last study of hers.
Went something like this..."When God has brought you to a situation where all you can do is pray, then that's what you are there for...to pray."  
How many times have I said to my friends, "I will be praying about that.  Let me know if there's something I can do."  As if praying wasn't DOING something. When will I learn?  When will I DEVOTE myself to prayer?
On Facebook, so many times I see people who say, "I'm praying for you" or "Prayers!"  Am I the only one who wonders how many people are REALLY praying?  I say it too, and I'm telling you...how many times do I utter up a quick prayer and then that's the end of it.  And it's true, I am technically "praying" for them, so I'm not a liar here, but it feels like deception.  Because prayer is important, it's crucial.  And when we really love someone, the BEST thing we can do is pray for them.  It's way beyond anything we can physically do here on Earth.  I cannot make light of it, I cannot make it less than what it is.
My desire is to be devoted to prayer.  Lord, make me your prayer warrior.
I love the Lord, for he heard my voice;
he heard my cry for mercy.
Because he turned his ear to me, 
I will call on him as long as I live.
Psalm 116:  1-2
(Just trying to remove my picture of Resurrection Eggs that always comes up!  We shall see if this works!)



No comments:

Post a Comment