Monday, August 29, 2011

The Prayer Promise

I started reading The Reading Promise a few months ago.  I liked the idea of the book...the premise is this dad and daughter read aloud together every night for years...I think they ended up with EIGHTEEN years or something like that.  While I fully agree that reading to our children is crucial and read to my children pretty much every night, I decided to use that idea to make a "promise" for something that is more important in my eyes.
I've also been reading A Place of Quiet Rest by Nancy Leigh Demoss.  I highly recommend this book.  It has challenged my thinking on my quiet times like never before.  I want to blog more about this soon but for the sake of this blog post, I want to focus on this "promise" I made to my daughter.  Demoss really emphasizes the need to have your quiet time be first thing in the morning.  I had always thought that it didn't really matter when you did it during your day (and still feel that SOMETIME is better than no time!), but truly now think that beginning my day alone with God is the best time to do it. 
When my five year old started school, I decided to implement this idea very simply with her in something I called The Prayer Promise.  The idea is that we will pray for her day every morning before school.  Very simple, many people do this I realize...but just trying to hold myself accountable to doing that AND establish a pattern for her of beginning her day with prayer.  Now I use promise very loosely because I know that there will be days I will forget (I have already forgotten once).

These are some things I hope she will gain from this:
A daily pattern of beginning her day with prayer
A habit of praying for her teachers and friends
Allowing God to be in control of her day
A greater love of the Lord and communication with Him

These are some things I hope I will gain from this:
A daily pattern of praying for her day and my son's day
Remembering to pray for her teachers and friends
Encourage an open relationship with my daughter where she can express her worries and concerns

So...so far, so good.  :)  She seems ready and eager to pray each morning. I hope we can keep it up. 



No comments:

Post a Comment