Monday, November 25, 2013

Leftovers

  Thinking about that turkey and dressing...and all the extras (the sides are my favorites!).  Thinking about the leftovers that will be filling my fridge in a few days.
  Ironic because yesterday in our Bible Fellowship class we talked a lot about leftovers.  Our small group/Bible fellowship class is going through the small group study "Crazy Love" and boy does it challenge me.  First of all, the people in this group are awesome.  What I find so inspiring about them is that we were all raised with different church backgrounds and are at different places in our walk with Christ, but we are all in the same place where it really counts.  EVERYONE wants to know the heart of Jesus more and LIVE it.   We all believe that Jesus is the reason we are here and we want His will above all.  But man is that hard.
  Back to those leftovers.  Francis Chan believes that most Christians today will say we love God with all of our heart, but when it comes down to it, we are giving Him our leftovers.  Our whatever is left after the real deal. After the important stuff.  
"Many of us believe we have as much of God as we want right now, a reasonable portion of God among all the other things in our lives.  Most of our thoughts are centered on the money we want to make, the school we want to attend, the body we aspire to have, the spouse we want to marry, the kind of person we want to become...But the fact is that NOTHING should concern us more than our relationship with God; it's about eternity, and nothing compares to that.  God is not someone who can be tacked on to our lives."
Chan, Crazy Love

God is not someone who can be tacked on...He's not someone we can serve leftovers to and think that's enough.
He's the real deal.  He's the actual Thanksgiving dinner, not the leftover stuffing and turkey in the fridge.
Challenged.  Is he getting the real deal in...my thoughts?  my (actually His that He's entrusted to me) finances?  my time in service?  my time in Bible reading?  my words?  my heart?  And what does that really look like?
Gonna wrestle with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment